Sunday, August 28, 2011

Blood donation

I did a good deed today - I went to donate blood.

12 years ago, I pass by this banner that says "An hour of your time can mean a lifetime to others. Give blood" on the way to school everyday. I knew I should donate, but, having haemophobia and add a general laziness to find out how to donate, I didn't action. Until the mobile bank comes to school and Jamie Reeves told us he has been a regular donor all these years here and encouraged us to do the same.

I still recall on the day of donation, I was so nervous my resting heartbeat was 130+ and I had a great pal with me who helped distract me during the blood drawing. All was painless, easy and over so soon! We were then told not to carry heavy things after the donation but I went for my weights training session after school anyway. Asked for early release but perhaps it was more to slack off since I had a valid reason. My body could take it pretty well.

I haven't donated again since, until recently another great pal told me about the appeal. A few days later, I saw Jamie Reeves on TV and noticed he's lost so much weight and aged so much. I am reminded of what he used to tell us and my guess is he's still continuing in his donation practice. So I finally went again.

A lot of people. The friend could not make it. I was tempted to leave and revisit another day until I saw this labrador retriever at the counter. My first thought was 'they allow pets here?!?', then I realized the owner is blind and the dog was a guide dog. (My first time seeing one in Sg by the way). Even the blind has come to give blood! I felt ashamed of having the thought of leaving!

And so it was done.

Even before the blood drawing is complete, I already felt faint and numbness in my hand. Signs of poor blood circulation! And they had to keep me in my tilted bed due to my low blood pressure for a long long time...Aging!!!! Even though I'm glad I did donate a good packet of very valuable O blood, I'm so upset that my body condition has deteoriated so much! zzzzzzz.......

Encourage me to do this more often? I need many signs to push me....

1 comment:

Jing Xian said...

I will push u!! :)